From President Ian Coat:
Our guest speaker on Tuesday was Alison Meneaud, from Women’s Safety Services SA, also known as the Eastern Adelaide Domestic Violence Service (EADVS). Alison described to us, the impact of domestic violence on families, and the services that they provide. As Community Development manager, one of her roles is to foster engagement with outside organisations such as Rotary. Alison described some high value outcomes that cooperation with organisations, such as Zonta, have created.
We were proud to present Alison and EADVS with a cheque for $1725 from the proceeds of our monthly Magill Markets. Each of our markets has a target charity. This helps to keep us all focussed on the fact that we are here to make a difference in people’s lives. As a spin off Mark Thompson is donating an unwanted flat screen to EADVS, which has already been allocated to a family.
Footy Tipping Wrap-Up – Thanks Lindsay!
A big thank you to Lindsay Davis for again organising Footy Tipping for 2017. The Rotary Foundation is a beneficiary from the competition and $250 will also be allocated to TRF. Lindsay is seen presenting runner up Mark Thompson with his consolation prize.
Fellowship: Combined Services Dinner
The Campbelltown Council Combined Services Dinner is coming up on Tuesday 24th October. We will need to give them numbers attending. If you are planning to attend this event, please email Ian Coat (firstname.lastname@example.org) ASAP.
Note that the event is aimed as a thank you for members only of the club, and not for partners. The evening will cost $35. Please pay this into the Club Account as the club will be invoiced later for the event. Remember that doors open at 6:30pm for a 6:45pm sharp start.
Weekly Challenge: Ask “Are you OK?”
This is mental health week. Take a look at your circle of family, friends and work colleagues. Say to yourself, is someone not their normal self. Go to them as ask the question “Are you OK?” Then most importantly – listen to the answer.
Next Meeting: 17th October
Note: that’s next week, folks.
We will hear from Clinton who runs the Organically Grown shop in Magill. His business has been around before organics were trendy so come and hear about his passion for organic produce.
- Fri AM 20th Oct: Magill Sunrise supporting the End Polio Ute at the Norwood Mall. We have Volunteers for that morning.
- Sun 22nd Oct: Group 7 members invited to attend a Rotary Picnic at Thorndon Park from 12noon.
- Tue 24th Oct: Combined Service Clubs Dinner with Campbelltown Council at the Campbelltown Function Centre. Let Ian Coat know if you are coming.
- Fri 27th Oct: Bunnings Mile End – contact Sue Hector
- Sun 29th Oct: Fellowship lunch and Proud Mary river cruise from Murray Bridge.
- Sat 18th Nov: Fellowship BBQ at the home of Wayne and Christine Abbott in McCracken near Victor Harbor. Contact Pauline to let her know whether you are bringing salad or dessert.
- Fri 23rd – Sun 25th March 2018: Rotary District Conference. (http://barossa2018.org.au) Accommodation is tight so get you room booked now. Early bird registration for the conference is open until 31st December 2017.