Isuri Serevirante, from Norwood Morialta High was our guest speaker at this week’s meeting. We were also honoured with the presence of David Jones AG/DGE 9510, Brian Kretschmer, President of St Peters Club along with his club buddy and Rotary Stalwart, Arthur Manser. Carol McKenzie, Kirsty Stark offered their apologies.
Isuri was the recipient of our club’s Service Above Self award for Year 12 Students. Isuri has just completed Year 12 at Norwood-Morialta. The text below is an extract from her address to the club and you can see why she was such a worthy recipient because of her activities this year:
- In 2018, I was nominated as the senior gold team house captain.
- As part of the school’s Student Leadership Committee, I specifically was a part of organising, promoting and speaking for Sports Day, Purple Day, demonstrating school support for the LGBTQ+ community, the school’s new Logo Launch, promoting multiple Casual Days, organising a House Color Fundraiser, the Italian Culture Day, the school’s Open Night and the annual International Assembly.
- I gained study experience at the Gastroenterology Department with Dr. Suzanne Mashtoub and her fellow Honors students at the Women’s and Children’s Hospital this year, and had the rare opportunity to gain experiences with them in the laboratories and witnessing the progress of a number of clinical trials.
- Weekly volunteer for Clayton Church Homes Aged Care facility in the Lifestyle Sector since earlier this year, to gain some experience in health and lifestyle service to possibly to give insight to how a career in the medical field would look like. Met very kind and caring personnel and made strong connections with some grandmas and grandpas at Clayton.
- Being able to help workers carry out small activities such as Magill Club, where we were able to shoot a few ducks with a nerf gun, giving manicures, to singing songs to piano tunes have been some of those experiences.
- Next year, I plan on entering the Health and Medical Sciences (Advanced) course at university. I want to always be of service to my community through my future career in the health field, hopefully being able to become a doctor.
Club Award: Rotary Citation from RI President
In Ian Coat’s year as Club President (2017-2018) we ticked enough boxes to qualify for the Rotary International President’s Citation. Ian is seen receiving the Award from David Jones, AG/DGE 9510.
- Mark, Chris and Ian have presented cheques for $1650, $1000 and $2000 to Youth Opportunities (Operation Flinders), Hutt Street Centre and East Adelaide Domestic Violence Centre respectively as the distribution of the profit from The Reel Event 2018.
- Chris and Susan worked with RC Norwood at the Bunnings Mile End BBQ on 23rd Nov for an addition of $238 to the club’s fundraising account.
- Chris, Ian, Julie, Lindsay, Susan and Suzette provided a BBQ for the Magill Campus & Community Children’s Centre on 30th Nov using the BBQ trailer borrowed from RC Morialta and received a donation of $100 for our ongoing projects.
- District Conference registrations are now open.