Magill Sunrise Rotary Club is proud to have a long association with Nightingale Reserve at the corner of St Bernards and Woodforde Roads, Magill. The tranquil waters of Third Creek run through the park and it is graced with many beautiful and majestic trees.
This large community park owned and beautifully maintained by Campbelltown City Council was orginally inhabited by the Kaurna people, and after colonial settlement became part of the Woodforde Estate owned by the Uren and Nightingale families.
This reserve became Magill Sunrise Rotary Club’s first major project. In the early 2000s Nightingale Reserve was sadly neglected and overgrown with weeds. The club approached Campbelltown City Council for permission and help with rehabilitating the reserve. The club submitted plans for the reserve’s development to the Council, who were very supportive.
The club conducted major fundraising and working bees by club members involving Magill Primary School, Scouts and Guides in weeding and planting native plants indigenous to the area. Government Departments like SA Water and Department for the Environment also helped.
Magill Sunrise Rotary Club funded an interpretative trail winding through the reserve with signage detailing the history of the reserve and the local area. Later the club assisted with the installation of barbeques and other amenities. In 2022 the club is again funding updates of this infrastructure.
Magill Sunrise Rotary Club continues working with Campbelltown Council to upgrade Nightingale Reserve which provides the community with the following amenities and activities:
• Explore Third Creek with its bird life and native plants
• Walk along the winding brick road along the interpretative trail
• Use the barbecue and sit at the picnic tables and benches provided
• Roll down the green slopes to the creek
• Play tennis on the tennis courts
• Play on the Playground protected by shade cloth
• Read a book under the majestic gums
• Kick a football on the fairly level creek area
• Exhausted after all this activity? Have a drink at the fountain
• Become a member and join in friendship, fun and achievement with Magill Sunrise Rotary Club
What, you haven’t visited? Check it out ASAP.